Monday 21 September 2015

[LETS GET TO KNOW] My Favorite Idol-Actors/Idol Turned Actors PART 1

Idol actors: idol turned actors who somtimes even give 'professional' actors a run for the money




As a first 'Let's get to know' segment on this blog, I decided to do something fun. Like an intro to not one but a handful of actors that I think people should look up and perhaps even follow. Since I have 8 actors/actresses to go through I'll do this in two parts! Please enjoy ~

First off, let's start by clearing out the term shall we? The kdrama term 'Idol actor' basically means that the actor or actress originally started off as an idol (usually kpop artist) before starting an acting debut and/or turning to acting as a full time job. There is a lot of critisism against idol turned actors as they're said to be very lacking and sometimes refered to as "just a pretty face" to promote a drama or movie, however there are some idols who are born with a natural talent for acting. In this blog post I'll go through some of the idol turned actors that I personally think are very talented. With that said, remember that this is my list, aka my opinion which may or may not be different from yours, and with that said, your idol actors may not be on this list. If you disagree with my opinion, feel free to post a comment below, I'd love to hear who you'd pick to be on the list, but also I expect you to respect my opinion. I can also say that none of the people mentioned in this post are my bias from their groups, so i'm judging them based on acting talent only. I can mention their singing or dancing talents as a side-thing, but the main point that I'm looking at is how well they can act. With that said, let's get started shall we? :D



In no particular order:

Lee Joon

Lee Joon was a member of kpop group MBLAQ from 2009-2014 until he decided, upon his contracts expiration to become an full-time actor. He instantly captured hearts of both old and new fans with his portrayals of very complex characters such as characters with various issues or mental states. In Gap Dong he played the role of Ryu Tae Oh, a young sociopath who idolizes the serial killer known as 'Gap Dong'. Ryu Tae Oh quickly became a lot of people's favorite character in the drama, and I personally loved him to death, even though most of the time he creeped me out and left me speechless in almost every episode. I'm weird. I know xD In Heard it through the grapewine he portraited the struggle of a teenage father who had to balance his new life as well as uphold an image in his very strict chaebol family. He's a man who really knows how to pull off creepy facial expressions only to in the next scene pull off an innocent-looking puppy face. His most noticeable role up to date is the role in Gap Dong which which recieved both awards and praise by fellow actors and experts. So yeah, what more is there to say? From dancing balett to taking on creepy sociopath roles. Lee Joon has without a doubt a very bright acting future ahead of him. He's also himself admitted that he loves to portrait complex characters, so I can't wait to see what role he'll take on next.

Pictures/GIFs from Gap Dong. My favorite portrayal of a sociopath ever! *o* overload of feels ~~








Other dramas/movies that are worth mentioning:
An Actor in an actor (movie)
Iris 2 (drama)
Mr. Back (drama)

Upcoming:
Vampire Detective (drama)




Jung Eun Ji

Jung Eun Ji is first and foremost mostly known as the main vocalist of the Kpop group Apink, but in recent years she's become more and more known as a rising actress with her most noticeable role in Reply 1997, where she played the role of Si Won, a very loud and snarky teenager who is also a borderline-sasaeng fan (obsessed stalker fan) of kpop group H.O.T. She recieved a lot of love from that role which didn't just make her popular, it also helped promote her entire group and Apink as well as added to the production of Reply 1994 and upcoming Reply 1988 in the now very popular "Reply-series". She also lended her vocals in a couple of OSTs (Original Sound Tracks). Most loveable is the duet she sang with Seo In Guk, her fellow main co-star in Reply 1997. The song ranked no.1 on various charts. If you're interested to hear the song you can check the link own below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbOlL5pQ2g

Si Won sleeping in a cartboard box just to be
able to be first in line for a H.O.T concert/fan meeting
 Si Won showed her obsessive dedication to H.O.T on many occassions, to just name a few: when she camped outside a building, stalked the member Tony all the way to his house just to get an autograph, answer Seo In Guk's question "Who would you save if we both fell into the sea, me or Tony?" with "You, because I know Tony can swim". She was hands down hilarious xD. Reply 1997 was such a different drama. It's really difficult to describe it with words you just have to watch it to understand why people adore it so much. It's not just a "teenage high school story" and it's more of a "coming of age"-story. t's just something extra, and with the big cast of characters it's inevitable to find someone who'll cling on to your heart and never let go.

My second favorite role Eun Ji Has played was her supporting role in That winter the wind blows. The sass and cuteness was so real in that one. I especially loved her chemisty with Kim Bum. They were so loveable <3 I really felt like those two were needed as side-kicks to lighten up the mood. It kind of gave us time to breath from the very intense and dark story. Either way, no matter what role Eun Ji takes on, whether it's something quirky or more serious, she does it effortlessly. If she ever decides to star acting full-time, I believe she would without a doubt become an regular winning guest at awards ceremonies.

Other dramas/movies worth mentioning:
Trot Lovers (drama)
Reply 1994 (cameo role) (drama)

Upcoming:
Sassy Go Go (drama)


 Do Kyung Soo

Also known as D.O, Do Kyung Soo is known as the lead vocalist of kpop group EXO. But recently he's also recieved attention for his acting as he starred as a cameo or supporting role in a few dramas. Most noticeably and my favorite role he's portraited up to date is the cameo role he did in I Remember You where he played the role of a young psychopath. Yeah, I don't know why I like those kind of roles lolz but if someone does a psycho role perfectly, then they're instantly on my love-call list xD so good job Kyung Soo, you not only picked your roles well, you also portraited them perfectly! Woah, for a guy who I never thought could act, he pleasantly surprised me! The cold expressions and evil grins, ah perfection :'3 I know he also plays a complex role in It's Okay, That's Love, but since I haven't yet watched that drama, I don't think it's right that I express an opinion and judge a role I haven't yet seen.
With such a promising start, I can't wait to see what role Kyung Soo will play next!


GIF from I Remember You
He's so mysterious and creepy x_x He has all the
potential to be a perfect evil genius villain xP



Other dramas/movies worth mentioning:
It's Okay, That's Love (drama)
EXO Next Door (drama/show)

Upcoming:
Hyung (movie)
Genuine (movie)

 

 Lee Hong Ki


Lee Hong Ki, who is known as the main singer of the Kpop band FTIsland made his drama debut in 2009 with the kdrama You're Beautiful, where he played the role of the goofy Jeremy. The drama became such a success that the fictional band A.N.JELL (consisting of Lee Hong Ki, CNBlue's Jung Yong Hwa, actor Jang Geun Suk and Park Shin Hye) held real and official concerts for fans. The band is one of the, if not THE most famous fictional bands in the world. Despite the fact that Hong Ki is known for playing more silly and comedy-oriented roles, he has also done serious ones. Most notable is his role in Bride Of The Century where he plays a chaebol with trust-issues. The drama itself is a mystery melodrama with hints of supernatural elements, and the role Hong Ki played wasn't anything like his other ones. The cute and goofy Jeremy had transformed into a cold chaebol and that is something i find very facinating. I love when actors feel comfortable playing different types of roles and not just recycle their old ones over and over again. For those of you who like Hong Ki playing goofy and funny characters, don't feel too sad as his most recent role was in a pure comedy-centered kdrama named Modern Farmer. So from a goofy character to a serious one to a goofy one, one again. We can never really know what to expect next XP. But even if two of his roles were goofy and funny, they were nothing alike and that's also something an actor can't pull off unless he is really talented. Sadly, despite the fact that You're Beautiful gained huge success, Hong Ki hasn't really been as active as an actor as one would hope. However, he has lended his voice to quite a few OSTs so while he will be missed during his breaks inbetween drama projects, we won't have to wait years to hear his wonderful and strong vocals, both as a solo in OSTs and as the main singer of FTIsland. Lee Hong Ki, I dare say that to me, he is a musical genius, and whetever it's music or acting, we can rest assure that he will always find with a new way to surprise us.

Silly main cast from Modern Farmer xD Hilarious!
 
 
Songs (OST's):
2004 Kangsooni OST - To My Friend
2007 Unstoppable Marriage OST - Lately I
2009 You're Beautiful OST - Still, Promise
2013 The Heirs OST - I'm saying
2013 Rockin' on Heaven's Door OST - Jump, Goodbye
2013 Bride of the Century OST - Words I have Yet To Say                                           
2014 Modern Farmer OST - When Love Comes, Do Or Die
 
Other dramas/movies worth mentioning:
Bride of the Century (drama)
Modern Farmer (drama)
Rockin On Heaven's Door (movie)
How To Steal a Dog (movie)


 
 
That's it for part 1 of this post. I hope you enjoyed! Part 2 will be up very soon!
Please leave a comment below and let me know if you liked the idea of this 'segment' Let's get to know. I hope it's fun and useful information ^^ Let me know if you agree with this list and/or who your favorite idol-actors or idol turned actors are :D Until next time ~



No comments:

Post a Comment