Wednesday, 8 June 2016

[NEWS] My Top 5 New Dramas (May & June Edition)

Catch-up Edition



Hi everyone! :D It's been a while ~
Exams are finally over. I somehow managed to live through it all, but I have to say it was a close one X_x I hope you're all doing good. If you have exams: hwaiting!!! >_< you can do it! Soon you'll be able to Watch dramas again! :3
I've actually managed to keep up with one airing drama while I was studying. So the "May" part of this blogpost will be more of a first impression of that drama, and then the June part will be how I usually do this.
We have quite a lot of titles to go through so, without further ado ~ let's get started ~




May



                                   Mirror Of The Witch (2016, South Korea)


I started this drama as soon as it began airing and I have only one thing to say: It is AMAZING! 10/10 so far! One of the best dramas of this year!-Breathes heavily-
It is a bit slower-paced compared to other kdramas that I've watched, but the story, the acting, the characters, just Everything about it is so interesting that you'll probably end up marathoning through it all in one sitting. This was such a pleasant surprise because I had no idea what to expect when I first read the synopsis. Without spoling too much for those of you who haven't started it (yet), it's like a darker fairy tale story, almost a darker version of Tangled (or Rapunzel). If you are craving fantasy with a fresh story, this is it! If the age gap between Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Sae Ron is keeping you away....well, I would be lying if I said that didn't become a hot topic on mydramalist...HOWEVER (and this is just my personal opinion): you don't really feel the age gap. I could write an entire article about this, so do let me know if that's something you're interested in reading. But to put it simple: Kim Sae Ron is very mature in her acting,  and this role is no expection. The romance in this drama for now is actually quite non-existent. The story focuses more on personal growth, breaking the curse, good vs evil etc etc. Yoon Shi Yoon is more goofy compared to Kim Sae Ron, so they balance each other well.Their chemistry is amazing! I understand that to some the age gap is uncomfortable, and if you feel that way then I can't do anything to convince you to give it a try, but I can say that this drama is definitely worth checking out! I'm 8 episodes in and personally, highly recommend it!


And now on to the upcoming June dramas:


     

4.                                   Doctors (2016, South Korea)



Title: 닥터스
Genre: drama, Medical, romance
Episodes: 20
Broadcast period: June 20th - August 23th


Starring Park Shin Hye (You're Beautiful, Pinocchio), Kim Rae Won (A Thousand Days Promise, Punch), Yoon Gyun Sang (Six Flying Dragons), Lee Sung Kyung (Cheese in the trap) and Ji Soo (Angry Mom, Sassy Go Go) the drama will be about Yoo Hye Jung, a girl who was a bully with a prickly personality. She had many scars from her childhood and through self-preservation, she keeps her heart shut away from other people. However, she changes after meeting her mentor Hong Ji Hong who plays a key role in transforming her life from a helpless gangster to a compassionate doctor. - MDL


FINALLY, Park Shin Hye has stepped out of her comfort zone! (aka high school romance comedies). I'm not the biggest Park Shin Hye fan, but just like Lee Min Ho, I don't think her acting is the problem per say, it's more the roles she gets. She just needs to stop doing the same recycled roles she's been doing for the past 6 years, I'm sure she can grow as an actress. The rest of the cast looks great! I loved Yoon Gyun Sang in Six Flying Dragons, I'm so glad he picked up another drama this soon! *_* Lee Sung Kyung is both pretty and talented, I know a lot of people disliked her in Cheese In The Trap, but I peronally loved her. Baek In Ha was my favorite character haha I just loved her snarky attitude x'D. Ji Soo and Kim Rae Won will definitely make me drool haha. I'm a sucker for stories that focus on character development and I can't think of a bigger transformation than the one from a ruthless gangster to a compassionate doctor, so overall I'm very excited to see what this drama has to offer.  






3.                               Beautiful Mind (2016, South Korea)



Title: 뷰티풀 마인드/ Dr. Frankenstein
Genre: Drama, Medical, romance
Episodes: 16
Broadcast period: June 20th - August 9th


Starring Jang Hyuk (The Merchant: Gaekju 2015), Park So Dam (Because It's The First Time), Yoon Hyun Min (Falling For Innocence, My Daughter Geum Sa Wol) and Park Se Young (My Daughter Geum Sa Wol) Beautiful Mind will be about a doctor who has a personality disorder. He is cold and doesn't show his emotions easily but starts to change when he falls for the main girl.


Hm....not the most original plot ever. Personality disorder haha....well I won't go as far as to say that this should've aired last year, but it does feel a bit odd among the other titles that will air this month.This drama was almost dropped 2 times but it kept on re-appearing on time-slots because broadcasting networks saw potential in it, so I hope I can see it too. I really hope it's not just a messy rip-off of a typical rich cold main guy who falls for the innocent but strongwilled main girl....<_< I don't have any expectations but I will give this one a try. I don't know anything about Park So Dam, but a fresh new face is Always nice. Jang Hyuk...hm...the guy is like a roller coaster to me, sometimes he is funny and sometimes he is just over the top annoying. It depends what kind of Comedy this drama will have. I doubt it'll be 100% serious with Jang Hyuk as the main, but we shall see. If this turns out to have zero to no comedy, then count me impressed! (also, why is dramaland so slow with releasing official posters this year?? this is getting super annoying X_X I swear they'll release the official poster tomorrow just to tease me....<_< ugh).





2.                                       Wanted (2016, South Korea)

Yeah.....official poster where are chuu? -.-*
Title: 원티드
Genre: Thriller, horror
Episodes: 16
Broadcast period: June 22th - August 11th


Starring Kim Ah Joong (Punch), Uhm Tae Woong (Valid Love) and Ji Hyun Woo (Awl, Queen In Hyun's Man) the drama is about a top actress who's son gets kidnapped and in order to get him back she is forced by the culprit to carry out missions on a live reality show.


This is another drama that "almost didn't happen". The found main leads in the last minute and started filming one month before the airing date. Talk about stress o_o. But I saw the trailer and it looks quite good. The story itself sounds interesting, it reminds me of God's Gift - 14 Days BUT with it's own fresh twist to it. I don't have anything to say about the cast, I've seen them before but they didn't really stand out to me. I do expect this drama to be on the same level as God's Gift and Liar Game, but it will also be interesting to see if and how they managed to pull off the entire filming process in such a short amount of time. If it ends up good, it definitely deserves an applause.


1.                                      38 Task Force (2016, South Korea)



Title: 38사기동대
Genre: Comedy, crime
Episodes: 16
Broadcast period: June 18th - August 7th


Starring Seo In Guk (I Remember You, Reply 1997), Girl's Generation's Choi Soo Young (The Spring Day of My Life) and Ma Dong Seok (Bad Guys) 38 Task Force is about a special task force, mixed up of cops and criminals, where the police works are con artists and use their skills of fraud and deception in order to help catch tax evaders. - MDL


Probably one of my most anticipated dramas of 2016. Not only does it star Seo In Guk and Ma Dong Seok (two actors who do action thrillers so so well), the plot sounds very fresh and unique! The main guys turn into bad guys in order to catch other bad guys. It's totally my cup of tea! xD
    


That's it for my top 5 most anticipated dramas of the month. What are yours? Are they in this list? Leave a comment below and let me know ~ :D

7 comments:

  1. Mirror of the witch is awesome! I'm hooked and can't wait for more episodes :D Also, I'm very excited about 38 Task Force as well. Seo In Guk is bae <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Seo In Guk IS bae *_* <3 I'm glad he decided to do Another drama Before going off to do the military service. I'll miss him T_T

      Delete
  2. First of all, Welcome Back! I hope you get to watch a lot of dramas now ;)
    Reading your article really makes me want to watch Mirror of the Witch right now xD
    I'm also glad that Park Shin Hye decided to take on a different role. I hope she does well and proves that she is a good actress ^^
    And of course, I'm also looking forward to 38 Task Force <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :D yeah it feels good to be back in dramaland! Especially now with all the new epic titles coming out like Seo In Guk's drama and then next month it's Kim Woo Bin and Suzy's grand return to the small screen. I'm very excited for a lot of dramas haha xD Yeah you should totally start Mirror of the witch! I'm actually rewatching the first episodes atm because I got a friend really hooked on it haha xD spreading that kdrama love ~~~ ;D

      Delete
    2. Also I'm thinking of doing a first impression post about Park Shin Hye's new drama just because it's such a huge step in her career. I'm not even that big on medicals, but I'll definitely watch it as soon as it airs because it sounds very refreshing xP

      Delete
  3. Yay! Glad you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! :D I look forward to fangirling about Mirror of the witch with you!! XP

      Delete